Years of Youth Rep

Years of Youth Rep

Monday, June 1, 2015

Susan

Susan Munroe discovered NHTP over sixteen years ago as an eighth-grader with grand aspirations of a Broadway career. She started out performing small scenes as part of NHTP’s youth workshops, eventually joining the Youth Repertory Company, where she appeared as the pretentious Mrs. Chauvenet in Harvey, a yellow-stockinged Malvolio in Twelfth Night, and the eccentric title character of The Madwoman of Chaillot. Although her passion for the stage continued into college (Clark University 2005), her talent as a writer and her interest in world travel began to pull her in another direction. Since graduating, Susan has lived and worked in New Zealand, Antarctica, and several South American countries, developing a career as a freelance travel writer and journalist. Her recent work writing about hydroelectric development in Patagonia led to her current project: developing an exchange program between young kayakers in Chile and students from the Colorado River Basin. Please visit her website to read more about her work: www.susanmunroe.com.


NHTP is present in all of my strongest and best memories of middle school and high school. It was where I learned how to take professional pride in my work and development, where I bonded with other young people with passion and creativity similar to mine. Genevieve and my co-actors challenged me to do more, be better, work harder. Most of all, though, it was FUN. I lived for the Thursday night rehearsals; the long hours of tech week filled me with endorphins, and performances would leave me floating for weeks. NHTP gave me the confidence and skills to speak with energy, poise, and good posture; to draw an audience in with words; to inspire excitement and interest in listeners. It taught me to recognize the value of like-minded individuals, and to cultivate relationships that inspire me to reach higher.”

No comments:

Post a Comment