Years of Youth Rep

Years of Youth Rep

Thursday, April 1, 1999

Hannah

Hannah was a member of Youth Rep from 2000 to 2010, first appearing in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Hannah graduated from George Washington University in 2014 and is now an ESL teacher in the Boston area as part of the Teach for America program.


"I never wanted to leave NHTP. Even at the end of rehearsals I would volunteer to mop the stage just because I didn't want to leave. And why would I? NHTP was where all of my friends were. It was a place where I felt safe exploring my own emotions and taking on wacky characters. NHTP was a place where I felt trusted and loved. Perhaps most importantly, NHTP was a place that challenged me with responsibilities most teenagers are not given. In high school, I had a key to NHTP and was choreographing a professional show and teaching my own kids’ class--two of the greatest learning experiences of my life. NHTP and my experiences there taught me how to move confidently, project my voice, interact with individuals of all ages, sympathize with others, and play. NHTP taught me to believe in myself because everyone there believed in me. Now it doesn't matter if I'm running warm-ups before a play on campus, playing theater games when leading community service trips abroad, or telling a story to friends, it is easy to see that my theater training has molded me into the person I am today. The friends and support group I feel I have acquired by being a member of the Youth Repertory Company is incredible and lifelong. Throughout middle school and high school I was involved in many after-school activities in the community. While I loved them all, I firmly believe that NHTP was the most influential, and I am so grateful when I look back on my experiences. It is amazing the love, creative energy, and incredible training that come out of such a small black-box theater on Islington Street."

No comments:

Post a Comment